Thursday, August 5, 2010

John 6 - 15:18

As I'm reading in John it really is startling how different the writing styles are from the other two Gospels. It just seems as if John had an entirely different purpose.

Another one of those accounts I have read a few times now has been where Mary and Martha were hosting Jesus. You may be familiar with it. Mary is engaged in conversation with Jesus while Martha is busy doing work in the kitchen. If Mary and Martha were to take personality tests today I'm guessing Mary would have been very relational while Martha would have been Type A and task-oriented. Just guessing...

I am so Martha sometimes. I like checking things off the list and priding myself in a job well done. I don't think that's all bad...in fact I'm convinced that is how God made me. On the flip side though I realize this is a huge hazard when it comes to relationships. Relationships with my family, friends, and ultimately God.

As I've mentioned already in this blog I'm afraid that sometimes my motivation has been more to prove my self-discipline then to study and read all of God's Word. As the final days draw to a close (only 11 left) I hope and pray that the Holy Spirit will allow all that I read to really penetrate who I am and who He wants me to be.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way. It totally ended up being an act of discipline/obedience for me, rather than a transformative expereince. Which, I think is ok. God taught me many other things through this experience.

    ReplyDelete