Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Romans 15 - 1 Corinthians 14

Emily and Audrey are in Iowa for a week so I'm at home (on vacation) busy working on little projects in our house. It's mostly painting which is why I have dubbed this my "paintcation."

You would think it would be easy to get my reading done in the midst of an empty house, but my to-do list has stolen my attention. Hopefully I'll be able to make up for my day off during the next few days.

Today I read most of 1 Corinthians. Paul spends a considerable amount of time talking about worship. He goes into even great detail as he talks about speaking in tongues. My conservative Christian Church formative years has pretty much relegated this topic to the list of things that we just don't understand or mention much. I must be honest I've never witnessed this event live, but I'm told it is an active part of many corporate worship gatherings.

I also cannot deny the stories that some of my missionary friends have shared with me as they have served in various cultures where the practice is prevalent. I'm still going to settle on the fact that I don't understand it, but it does seems to exist - both in Paul's day and in current times. Perhaps if I keep my eyes (and ears) open I'll be able to experience this worship activity that seems...well just plain weird to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment