Monday, May 24, 2010

Exodus 15:19-28

Confession: I often take myself and my role on Sunday morning too seriously.

I'll get back to that soon. As I was readying today's passage I really wanted to write about the Sabbath. I reflected on how it seemed to be very important to God and how I don't think we know how to find Sabbath rest at all...especially those of us whose job is centered around days of worship.

But then I got towards the end of the reading and it focused on the design of the temple, the ark, and the priestly garments. I am often accused (and rightfully so) of being to wound up. When it comes to Sunday mornings I have a plan, and I like to work the plan. Everything else is unplanned and therefore undesired.

Ouch! I know how it sounds. Way to leave room for people, their feelings, and their response...not to mention the work of the Holy Spirit.

Trust me - I see and realize the weakness in my natural born tendencies to revere order. On the other hand, I think we may have a lot to learn from today's reading. Several times I read, "Take great care to...", "Skillfully...", "with care be sure to..."

Bottom line is that God does care about quality. Sloppiness does not honor Him, and last-minute planning is often just a byproduct of our laziness. I realize that at times these thing cannot be avoided, but at least for today I'm a little less convicted by my opening confession.

No comments:

Post a Comment