Thursday, May 20, 2010

Genesis 17-28:19

Today I was at Lincoln Christian University attending a seminar for Worship Studies Graduates. Honestly it's been really fun - all the joys of class (discussion, good food) without any of the hard work (papers, etc.). Today we talked a lot about worship being formative. In other words, does what I do as a worship minister form people? If so am I helping to form their spirit or just their intellect?

Today's section of Genesis has so many well known stories in it. One of these is Abraham and Isaac. I can remember playing Isaac in Junior High at a church play so automatically this illustration is already "special." Abraham follows God and takes his son to be sacrificed. Let's be honest: at some point this is just weird isn't it? The fact that God would suggest this kinda bothers me. Perhaps this is a bigger problem now that I'm a father...but seriously!?!

I guess what I'd like to take away is that Abraham was so committed in his worship and devotion at this stage in his life. He was definitely formed...and not just intellectually. What kind of faith risks are encouraged from those who worship with me on a weekly basis?

No comments:

Post a Comment