Saturday, May 29, 2010

Numbers 8:15-21:7

Humility.

That leadership quality seemed to be very pronounced in today's reading. At one point, the text said that Moses was a very humble man. In chapter 20 we see that when Moses and Aaron to the Tabernacle, "they fell face down on the ground. Then the glorious presence of the Lord appeared to them..."

In many ways people view my role on Sunday mornings as "facilitating" that interaction between God and man. I have grown very uncomfortable with this "feeling." To begin with, who am I to generate God's presence? Quite frankly as New Testament believers, we always have the Holy Spirit within and among us. If that's the case then why do people comment - "I felt God's presence in the service today." I wonder if this is said because I arranged service elements for people to become emotional. You know - warm fuzzies. Maybe it was a specific song, or the way we "did" communion, or a soloist that give people chills. I'm afraid that I and others are all to eager to conjure these experiences. The other side of this is that if we don't see people crying, moved, or passionately singing then we must have done something wrong. Right?

As I look at Moses and Aaron it seems that they were most concerned about defaming God by haphazardly entering into the Tabernacle. Funny because I'm only thinking "haphazard" when people miss MY opening song...and it's normally a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment