Saturday, May 22, 2010

Genesis 40:12-50

I attended a wedding today. It wasn't a wedding of anyone I really knew, and no, I didn't crash it. I worked it. I ran sound. As I was sitting there I couldn't help but to notice the communion table had become a unity candle table. I thought it was ironic because on the front it said, "This do in remembrance of me." I looked around realizing that there were likely some unchurched people attending the wedding, and I couldn't help but to wonder if they noticed the inscription.

I don't get really bent out of shape over the communion table, or other physical elements used in worship, but I do think they hold some significance. Either way I was faced with the fact that at it's core a wedding has elements of a worship service: a sermon, a pastor, a church, singing, prayers, communion (sometimes), commitments, and I'm sure there are other things as well.

In the Old Testament it seemed that people often worshiped at significant times in their lives. Their worship looked a lot different mostly because it was in the form of sacrifices. In Genesis 46 Jacob is traveling to Egypt to be reunited with his son Joseph. When he came to Beersheba he offered sacrifices to God. This wasn't the fist time this had been done there. It was a significant time in his life so he worshiped.

So I wonder what place worship has in significant life moments: weddings, births, deaths...things like that. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment