Sunday, May 30, 2010

Numbers 21:8-32:19

We've all heard it said, "Everyone worships something."

There's definitely truth to that statement. I think if any Christian examined their own lives we'd realize that many times we try to worship several things. Sure God is "at the top of the list," but what's at a close second? How many times does it encroach or surpass our Creator for pole position? (Indy 500 reference...I grew up there give me a break)

In Numbers 25 we read a great story about a man named Phinehas. Probably not a name in a your baby names book, but either way he was the grandson of Aaron - the previous high priest. The Israelites were getting friendly with foreign women and "bringing them into their tent" AKA - "making whoopy" with these women. This was not good. The text says that as the people were weeping in repentance some hot shot brought a women in right before Moses...how rude! In the end Phinehas jumped up and shoved a spear through the both of them. Sounds like something out of a movie if you ask me.

While I respect Phineha's attempt at purity, tonight I'm more interested in the brazen disregard this guy (okay...we can say we) can have for God's law. How many times have we repented (true meaning=turn around) only to commit the same sin directly before God. I guess this is not a new problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment