Thursday, May 27, 2010

Leviticus 14:33-26:26

Don't...
Don't...
Don't...

Unfortunately this is the impression that many people have of Christianity and the church. A new cliche is that Christians are known more by what they are against then what they are for. I'm afraid that Leviticus doesn't really help that perception.

I had a great conversation today with some guys at work (Scott, Ryan and John) about loving God and People. Scott proposed that the way we love God is different then the way we love people. He continued to articulate that Scripture teaches loving God is an act of respecting and obeying him. He even went further to say that men in general (fathers and husbands) mirror this longing to be respected and obeyed. Furthermore we are occasionally guilty of trying to be active for God - doing things in the church, helping people, etc - all in an effort to show love towards him. While this isn't necessarily bad our motives are often times selfish.

I'm not sure that there is a crystal clear line to draw between the two, but I do think his idea has some merit. As I read through the litany of ceremonial demands I'm reminded how much God wants us to look different then the world around us. We are just pilgrims here. Perhaps when I'm longing to show my love, or leading others in their own expression I should focus on simply obeying him.

Lord, show me where I need to be more obedient in living a life that shows my love towards you.

No comments:

Post a Comment